Subscriber login Close [x]
remember me
You are not logged in.


Published:  23 July, 2008

Camel Valley, Cornwall's largest wine producer, is to offer a choice of corks or screwcaps for all but the shortest runs of its still wines, according to owner Bob Lindo. Lindo told Harpers: The arguments for and against are well rehearsed; we will let the consumer decide. We have a new GAI filler that can do full bottles, half bottles, quarter bottles (plastic for airlines, or glass) screwcaps or corks. We plan to give customers a choice by bottling initially 30% of each wine in a screwcap and the remaining 70% in a traditional cork. Our major beef with corks is not cork taint, but leakage,' added Lindo. Two percent of bottles leak prior to labelling, leading to their rejection and the covering of other bottles in mould.' Lindo aims to produce 80,000 bottles this year and currently supplies selected Waitrose (2002 Times/ Waitrose Drinks Producer of the Year), Safeway and Asda.