Subscriber login Close [x]
remember me
You are not logged in.

Wasp venom in wine causes allergic reaction

Published:  23 July, 2008

SPAIN: Doctors suspect wasp venom in wine and grape juice as the cause of several cases of severe allergic reactions.

Armentia suspects the aged wines did not produce an allergic reaction in the blood tests because any venom proteins they might have contained would have degraded as the wine matured.

Even a few weeks' ageing probably breaks down the venom enough that the risk of a dangerous allergic reaction is minuscule-but if they want to be on the safe side, people with bee and wasp allergies may want to avoid drinking freshly made wine, she said.