Subscriber login Close [x]
remember me
You are not logged in.

Big expansion plans for Conran Restaurants

Published:  23 July, 2008

Conran Restaurants is to launch four restaurants in the next year, in the wake of a 49% purchase of the company by two employees.

A large complex opposite the Copenhagen Opera House will open in December, in the style of its Butler's Wharf waterfront area in London. It will contain casual Italian dining, a deli, a high-end Japanese restaurant and a French-style bar brasserie. Much of the area will have outside seating. Two Conran restaurants are also to open in Tokyo in April and the company is to take on the main restaurant at the refitted Royal Festival Hall, when it reopens, in June.

Although these plans considerably increase the company's overseas presence - it has a function-only venue in New York and Alcazar restaurant in Paris - a spokesperson denied that most efforts would now be directed abroad: We are looking all over the country, and London is by no means saturated with our restaurants. We have a strong expansion programme'.

In September, Conran Restaurants MD David Loewi and Conran Holdings chief executive Des Gunewardena bought 49% of the company, leaving Sir Terence Conran with 51%. It was valued at 50 million at the time.