Subscriber login Close [x]
remember me
You are not logged in.

Lidl UK buyer Ben Hulme takes up international position

Published:  22 February, 2016

Ben Hulme, BWS buyer for Lidl UK, has been appointed Head of Wine for Lidl International, with immediate effect.

Hulme is credited with revolutionizing the wine range in Lidl stores across the UK, resulting in a 4.6% market share in wine for the discounter, ahead of total store share of 4.4%.

Hulme will now be at the helm, globally, controlling the key negotiations across the world, with a team of 22 BWS buyers reporting through to him. As he stated in a recent interview for Harpers: "We focus on our global suppliers wherever we can, and tap into the wealth of experience that we have as a team."

"Where we need to we develop specific styles for individual markets," he added.

75% of all Lidl Uk wines are purchased via the global Lidl buying network; the remaining 25%, mainly New World, have been selected by Hulme, to fit the UK market specifically.

Lidl reported the fastest growth in sales over the Christmas period, with an uplift of 18.5% overall, with wine sales up 38% in volume and 15% in value, largely due to the success of their Christmas seasonal range. The Lidl Uk Spring range, launches on 3

Hulme has led the way in recent years, with Lidl UK driving the decision-making process in terms of style in over 60% of cases. He will now be taking a more strategically-focused global role. However, Hulme will still be actively involved in the UK buying process - no details of a replacement in the UK have been announced to date.